Saturday, January 15, 2011

Volleys

I was practicing a couple of weeks ago with my doubles partner (Sean) and was up at the net hitting volleys. My forehand volley was a shot I tended to think about a little too much when playing because unforced errors and lack luster put-aways were cropping up too much during match play: when I received an up ball on a poach I would pop it up too much or hit the net (that's the worst). The solution was easy--I was putting too much slice on the shot (too much "work" on the ball); better to hit through the ball clean and finish through the ball. Remember this tip: when the ball is above the net-- stick it and step "as" you hit the ball; if the ball is below the net step "first" then put a little slice for control. Both of these volleys start with the same wrist position the only difference is the "follow-through:" slice is down slightly with a firm wrist postion and flat is foward with an extension of the forearm straight ahead--also with a firm wrist.

First weekend in February will be our Mixed Doubles Tournament. You will get your tournament play, a mixed tennis social, with a player reception all just for $35.00. Hell I spend that just on Bagels and coffee each week. There's a lot of energy at the club right now riding on the coat tails of the singles tournament. Don't miss this one.

No comments: