Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Doubles Positioning

How close am I supposed to get to the net? I feel like I'm out of position. I'm not sure where to go. My partner says get to the net yet we get lobbed like crazy so we can't get in; plus when we go to the service line I feel like I'm out of position. Get used to the service line. Read that line three more times. Practice half volleys, low volleys, mid-volleys, high volleys, and overheads right there. There are no members of the club that have the speed to cover a good lob when positioned six feet from the net. That is a tour play! Let the game come to you; hold that service line and you control the center of the court. Close the net and finish when the ball is up. Hold the line when challenged. Practice your mid court transition game. I then get other questions like: What do I do when my partner closes but doesn't put the ball away? I answer, "That is really aggravating. Get a better partner!" Seriously though, be ready to cover their back by holding the service line. That way you have covered their failed put-away. What if the other team closes the net and puts away our shots. I would then say, "Try to get in closer to the net to beat them to the punch." The team that controls the net usually wins the match. Hey, my partner only comes to the net to shake hands at the end of the match. You will need to work on your poaching and have your partner hit great low passing shots and incredible lobs when forced.

Good luck!,

Kevin Pease

No comments: