Friday, July 17, 2009

How much tennis do I need to play to become a pro?

Wow, that's a great question. There's so many variables in that discussion. Let's start with some questions I know I can answer: What do I have to do to be able to play college tennis and be more than the water person?

First, take some lessons from a pro who has demonstrated the ability to develop talent. These pros have established a reputation for preparing juniors for competition. Personally, I believe that technical instruction is the most important because without a solid foundation, it's like going into battle with one arm tied behind your back. Of course each player should be allowed to develop their own style.

Secondly, play junior competitions and manage the calendar to fit your personal needs. If you desire to reach for a high rank you will have to play at least two tournaments per month and love to train a few days per week at considerable expense.
Parents will have to enjoy traveling all around your section. Hopefully you like "99" restaurants, meeting some interesting people, spending gas money, and renting hotel rooms at $100 per night if your lucky enough to win or have your parents allow you to stay over with the Muppopps's who met you last week in Canton Ct. Maybe your parent's can sleep over too. Ask if it's alright if they do before you tell them.
Sorry, just a little humor there. You don't want to build them up and thenm be disappointed. If this doesn't thrill you then you won't stand a snowballs chance in hell turning pro or even establishing a high ranking in your section of the USTA.

Thirdly, what if I want to just make a college team? Well, if that's the case, you still have to do what the above paragraph states if you want to compete for a solid team............they require ranking as a basis for establishing recruiting standards.

You can play college tennis for some division three and division two schools as well as junior colleges if you play high school tennis; so there there are opportunities, just to walk on a team and play. If you advanced in your section high school tournament in singles or doubles a few rounds, then you can play college tennis. I made it to the quarter finals of my section in doubles; I then walked on to UMass (a divsion one program) after convincing the coach not to cut me during the tryouts. In high school I played number one doubles............in college I played as high as 6 and 7 singles and worked into the doubles rotation once in a while. For me that was an accomplishment............but hey, that's another story.

Oh yuh, I did become a pro (a teaching pro and a coach). I've had the chance to play former pros and great college talent........That's enough for me.


If you love the game and love to play then just do it. It's a great life with tennis. If you love other sports more or about the same, then play seasonaly and enjoy spring tennis.

No comments: